Although society advances in many ways, there are some issues that remain taboo. One of them, of which women speak little, is the lack of sexual desire. Sexual problems are much more frequent than we think: it is estimated that between 40% and 50% of women have suffered at least one, regardless of age. Among all the dysfunctions, the lack of desire and / or excitement stands out as the most common and, although it can be treated, only one third of women get to consult their doctor buy Nugenix direct.
Today we want to break with these clichés and encourage all women to consult a doctor if they are in this situation, since low sexual desire can have many causes and most are avoidable.
What is meant by low sexual desire?
The sexuality is a very important part of life. In fact, the World Health Organization (WHO) defines sexual health as the “state of physical, emotional, mental and social well-being related to sexuality.” In this sense, it does not only have to do with reproduction, but also with pleasure and intimacy, since it directly influences the quality of life of people.
Not wanting sex or fancying less than your partner are not reasons to think of a low libido , but may simply be that you find yourself at different moments of your life cycle, with different needs.
However, if it is an issue that bothers or causes frustration, these three clues can indicate if there is a desire dysfunction:
- You do not feel interest in any type of sexual activity, including self-stimulation.
- You never have sexual thoughts or fantasies.
- This absence of desire causes you disappointment.
- Why is there a lack of sexual desire?
The lack of sexual desire is usually related to physiological, psychological, sociocultural influences and interpersonal relationships. It is usually more common in postmenopausal adults, but, although less is known, it also affects young women. In this sense, it is important to eliminate certain myths, such as that with age tends to decrease sexual activity. According to data from the National Institute of Statistics (INE), 80% of women up to 65 years of age routinely perform sexual practices.
In general, there are many explanations for a decrease in sexual desire, some of the most common:
- The use of certain medications, such as oral contraceptives or chemotherapy. In this case, it is necessary to consult with a doctor to look for alternatives or additional treatments.
- Some diseases, such as diabetes or hypertension.
- Discomfort when having sex and dryness in the genital area , it is advisable to use lubricants and moisturizers or physiotherapy of the pelvic muscles.
- The stress or depression. It is recommended to consult with a doctor the need to do psychological therapy or receive a treatment.
- Pregnancy, postpartum and when you are breastfeeding.
- The menopause.
- Low self-esteem
Tips to recover sexual desire
First, it is necessary to know the reason for the lack of libido to find an adapted solution. For this, it is advisable to consult with a specialist in sexual health , who will assess all causes, both the most obvious and the least, to offer a personalized treatment.
There are some general recommendations to increase sexual desire that may be useful :
- Reduce stress and avoid fatigue.
- Improve communication with your partner. Talking about the needs, insecurities and preferences of each one can be very helpful.
- Improve the quality of your sexual relationships. Pleasurable experiences improve the desire and perspective of later sexual encounters. Therefore, it will be beneficial to spend time in the preliminaries, look for what stimulates you more and makes you enjoy.
- Consult a health professional about the possibility of taking medication.
- Take food supplements specially formulated to improve the lack of sexual desire. Gynea, our line focused on women’s health, has in its vademecum with Gynfeel ® . It is a nutritional supplement formulated to improve the sexual health of women thanks to the plant extracts tribulus, which promotes sexual desire and capacity, and saffron, which stimulates the libido and helps maintain a positive mood. In addition, it contains damiana extract and other vitamins.
If you feel low sexual desire, break the ice and talk to your gynecologist. With these tips and your help, you’ll be on the path to enjoying a full sexual life again.